Discover a practical, multidisciplinary approach to the prevention and management of nosocomial infection. Hospital Epidemiology and Infection Control, Fourth Edition, continues to build upon its well-earned acclaim as the most comprehensive reference on hospital epidemiology and infection control.
Over 150 leading authorities have contributed their expertise to the text, examining every type of nosocomial infection as well as issues relating to surveillance, prevention, and control of these infections in patients and in healthcare workers.
This new edition features new or significantly increased coverage of emerging infectious diseases, avian influenza (“bird flu”), governmental regulation of infection control and payment practices related to hospital-acquired infections, molecular epidemiology, the increasing prevalence of community-acquired MRSA in healthcare facilities, system-wide infection control provisions for healthcare systems, hospital infection control issues following natural disasters, and antimicrobial stewardship in reducing the development of antimicrobial-resistant organisms.
New and updated features include…
• New chapters address mechanisms of bio?lm formation in staphylococci, microbiologic sampling of the environment in healthcare facilities, antimicrobial stewardship, and elements of design in the built environment of the healthcare facility.
• NEW companion website offers extensive additional references for most chapters, as well as additional content useful in highly specialized circumstances
• Fully updated references cite established and emerging research into the prevention and management of hospital-acquired infection.
• Enhanced clinical focus provides useful information and strategies readers can put into practice immediately.
Antibiotic Basics for Clinicians, Second Edition, shows you how to apply your knowledge of pharmacology and microbiology in order to select the appropriate antibiotic. Rather than rely on rote memorization, you’ll learn the underlying rationale for treatment of common infectious diseases and pathogens. The text focuses on antibacterial agents, examining individual antibiotics and antibiotic classes as well as definitive and empiric therapies—providing a framework for prescription and clinical preparation for students training to be physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, pharmacologists, or medical technologists. Clinicians also rely on Antibiotic Basics for quick reference or review.
The Second Edition includes current research and new approaches to emerging resistant organisms such as community-acquired, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase-producing bacteria. In addition, the book has been updated to reflect changes in treatment guidelines, including new guidelines for Clostridium difficile colitis and urinary tract infections.
Special features help you “think like a clinician”:
A must-have for mastering essential concepts in Microbiology.
Based on the best-selling Lippincott Illustrated Reviews series, Lippincott Illustrated Reviews Flash Cards: Microbiology helps you review, assimilate, and integrate essentials of complex subject matter. Developed for fast content absorption, these 200 high-yield cards support course learning and board exam preparation.
See inside for:
-More than 400 lively, full-color images that bring concepts to life.
- Spot flash questions to test your grasp of key concepts or equations on a lecture-by lecture basis!
- In-depth course review questions to ensure a thorough understanding of course material.
- Clinical correlation questions that associate key basic science concepts to clinical scenarios.
-Bolded key terms for easy navigation and quick comprehension.
With Lippincott Illustrated Reviews,
Seeing is Understanding
Succeed in your course and on the board exam with Lippincott’s Illustrated Reviews Flash Cards: Microbiology!
Part of a new series of Lippincott Illustrated Reviews Flash Cards, this handy print and digital card set features artwork from Lippincott’s Illustrated Review of Microbiology, with corresponding key topic and clinical questions for effective course and board review. The set of 200 cards includes three types of questions with icons:
· Spot flash (image-based identification questions)
· Course review (high-yield info for course or board exam)
· Clinical correlations (questions that relate to clinical practice)
The Q & A format, high quality images, and different question types facilitate effective drill and maximum recall—making this one of the most convenient and effective study tools available for board review.
· Fine tune your understanding with high quality artwork and clear and to-the-point information.
· Easily select the card or set of cards you want to focus on using the Index with topic list correlated to flash card numbers (for print cards) and quick online search (for digital cards).
· Maximize your study time with the flash card set’s focus on high-yield points, clinical correlations, and bolded key terms from the parent text.
· Keep your cards concise, organized, and uncluttered with all card information linking back to the text for additional reference.