Organized around disease clusters, this comprehensive, clear and concise guide to disease information, ranging from causes, signs and symptoms, and diagnosis through treatment and special considerations, has been updated with the latest in original research and practice guidelines and designed to provide a brief yet comprehensive overview of a large array of disease processes.
This 10th edition features improved sections focused on health promotion and disease prevention— topics that have been receiving added emphasis in health care circles in recent years – as well as updates on many conditions for which a variety of clinical treatment guidelines have been published recently by major professional medical and surgical organizations.
Written for a variety of health care providers, the organizational format allows for review of an entire topic, such as clinical genetics and genomics, or narrows the focus to one aspect of disease, such as the details of treatment or special considerations of emerging illnesses.
New to this edition are artwork and figures that illustrate the pathophysiology of many conditions in a full-color format. These images can not only be used to better understand the topic on a professional level, but can also be leveraged for patient teaching while in the office or hospital.
For the health care provider on-the-go, Professional Guide to Diseases offers authoritative, quick reference features on disease management and patient care, including:
• Pathophysiology flowcharts and illustrations show disease progression.
• Differential diagnosis algorithms simplify difficult-to-diagnose problems.
• Confirming diagnosis icon spotlights test results that verify the diagnosis.
• Alerts point out potentially ominous signs, symptoms, and situations.
• Prevention icon highlights health promotion and disease prevention information.
• Elderly tips and Pediatric tips emphasize important variations in these patient populations.
The Professional Guide to Diseases continues to feature information on efficient health care delivery for routine conditions seen almost daily, as well as cultural considerations in patient care, information on potential bioterrorism agents, updates on rare diseases, and inclusion of complementary and alternative therapies for specific conditions, as well as additional coverage for more than 50 life-threatening disorders.
Relying on the expertise of twenty-two expert clinicians, the 10th edition of Professional Guide to Diseases offers a strong background of successful editions combined with the latest updates and recommendations that will help you provide accurate information to your patients.
· NEW! Full-color interior
· NEW! Revised and updated to reflect new diagnostics and treatment
· NEW! More pathophysiology illustrations
· NEW! Alternative therapies added
· Each disease presented in a concise standard format, covering causes and incidence, complications, signs and symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment
· Appendix detailing more than 250 rarer disorders
· Quick reference to more than 50 life-threatening disorders just inside the cover
· Cultural considerations and alternative therapies
· Hundreds of pathophysiology flowcharts and illustrations show disease progression.
· Differential diagnosis algorithms simplify difficult-to-diagnose problems.
· Confirming diagnosis icon spotlights test results that verify the diagnosis.
· Alerts point out potentially ominous signs, symptoms, and situations.
· Prevention icon highlights health promotion and disease prevention information.
· Elderly tips and Pediatric tips emphasize important variations in these patient populations.