· Chapter-opening Case Studiesand Learning Objectivesput medical terminology in context and help you identify learning goals.
· Pretests give you an opportunity to assess your knowledge before reading each chapter and assess your progress after completing the chapter.
· New and enhanced full-color drawings and photographs, including clinical illustrations, tissue micrographs, and figures, clarify the text.
· New case studies focus on current issues and hot topics to prepare you for the types of challenges you’ll encounter in practice.
· Key Termssections list the terms most commonly used, while Supplementary Terms cover more specialized terms in a later section.
· Easy-to-reference Word Part tables in every chapter present roots, prefixes, and suffixes, along with examples of their use in medical terminology.
· A greater emphasis on clinical illustrations brings concepts to life and helps you connect learning to practice.
· Chapter-opening Ancillaries at a Glance sections identify online learning tools available to assist in concept mastery (including
PrepU adaptive quizzing). In addition, icons in the margins alert you to specific tools available online.
· Clinical Perspectives boxes focus on body processes and techniques used in clinical settings
· Health Professions boxes focus on a variety of health careers and demonstrate how medical terminology is used in clinical settings.
· Focus on Words boxes provide historical or other interesting information on selected terms within a chapter.
· For Your Referenceboxes provide additional information on medical terms.
· An extensive chapter review includes case studies that present terminology in the context of a medical report and related questions that test your cumulative knowledge.
· Chapter-ending exercises, including matching, word building, and other reinforcement tools, help you master each chapter’s content.
· A wide range of interactive learning activities, including flash cards, word-building, and Listen & Label, Look & Label, Pronounce It, Spell It, and exercises, as well as games (including Quiz Show, crossword puzzles, hangman), help you study and review.